1. Tell us about your educational background and your work experience to date.
I studied at ITS while working at Giuseppi’s under the mentorship of my uncle Michael Diacono. I was then given the opportunity to have a year’s work experience in London at the Park Inn Heathrow Hotel. On my return to Malta, I began my 12-year-long role at Rubino where I am now the Head Chef.
2. Why are you so passionate about being a chef?
The love for food definitely runs in my family, where almost all conversations at my grandmother’s house are based around food and the sharing of recipes and ideas. The love for food that I have and being able to share my passion at work keeps me motivated and hungry for more.
3. Mention five words to describe yourself and your work ethic.
Humble, creative, hard-working, responsible and dedicated.
4. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I want to continue to grow with Rubino, getting stronger and better as a team and continue to be successful.
5. Can you mention chefs who have inspired you? What do you admire most about them?
I would definitely need to mention my grandmother, Rita Diacono. Even though she is not a trained chef, and at the age of 94, she’s an amazing cook and a great person who inspires and amazes me with the love and creativity she puts into her cooking everyday.
6. What is your favourite dish to cook and why?
I wouldn’t say I have a favourite dish to cook. On the other hand, what I love about my job is the freedom for me to come up with new ideas and be creative with our daily-changing menu.